Saturday 1 December 2012

Mulled Pear Jam

 
Well today is the first day of December and my house smells like there was an explosion in a Christmas factory.

 I bought a large quantity of pears and was unsure what to do with them, then I thought Mulled Pear Jam for Christmas gifts.

After some experimenting I came up with this recipe:

Mulled Pear Jam
 
 
Ingredients

800 g small pears
450 ml mulled wine
1 orange
15 cloves
1 cinnamon stick
3 cups of jam sugar


Method

1. Peal and core the pears, putting them into some water with lemon juice to stop them turning too brown

2. Pour the mulled wine in to a medium heavy bottom pan and add the strained pears. Add the slices of orange, cloves and cinnamon then bring it to the boil on a high heat then reduce to medium and allow them to boil until the pears have softened.

 
3. Strain the pears, removing the orange and spices, keep the liquid as you can use it for some other festive recipes. Then return the pears to the pan and mash them to the consistency you like (I like a bit of a bite).

3. Add the sugar and bring to a rolling boil for 15 - 25 minutes until the jam doesn't run when put on to a cold plate.


4. Now transfer to your sterilised jam to the jars, be careful it will have cooled but it is still very hot. I use a sterilised jug and funnel to make sure I do not spill the jam.

5. Put a small disc of grease proof paper on top of your jam, then screw on the lid

 
6. Decorate your jars if you are giving them as gifts, this year I went paper lid covers instead of fabric (think I do prefer fabric though, just wanted to try these for a change) and a little pear shaped tag so that their are no questions about what it is.



If you like it please let me know...



No comments:

Post a Comment